Today we see renewed efforts to incarcerate non-violent drug offenders and executive actions targeting immigrants, but for centuries these systems of mass incarceration, detention, and deportation have driven the criminalization of people of color. As mass deportation and incarceration continue to ravage communities of color, we must come together, take action, and share our strategies and vision for a better future.
Mass criminalization is rooted in a long history of systemic racism, slavery, and the genocide of indigenous people. It is designed to isolate communities of color and strip them of their social, political, and economic power, while perpetuating life cycles of inequity. Solidarity across movements is the only path toward collective power and liberation.
Mass Freedom is bridging these movements.
Building upon the decades of work and visionary thinking by activists who have been leading the fight for racial justice, Race Forward is committed to building systems that unlock the potential of communities of color to be truly safe, healthy, and free.
Mass Freedom will focus on elevating the voices of those who have been most marginalized and oppressed and empowering communities of color to unite amidst a political landscape that grows more threatening with each day. The project includes:
- MassFreedom.org, which will serve as a platform for activists engaging on mass criminalization to share stories, solutions, and resources.
- Colorlines.com reporting on mass incarceration and mass deportation, and contributions by immigrants, formerly incarcerated people, and others directly affected by the criminalization of people of color.
- FRED Talks (Facing Race, Elevating Democracy) — online videos produced at local events where activists and leaders share their stories and effective strategies for change.
- Resources including videos, articles, tools, and more on the issues of mass incarceration and deportation that are being used every day by organizers and change makers.
- Actions highlighted on the site and driven on social media channels by movement-oriented influencers, to amplify diverse stories, views, and regular opportunities to take action now.
We express our deepest thanks to Voqal for their support of this project.